It Looks Like White Fungus on my Mulch
It’s nasty, unpleasant, and ugly. Called “dog vomit fungus” this mold is as unattractive as it sounds. Looking bad is one thing. However, what you have to ask yourself is, “if it looks like white fungus on my mulch, will it hurt my trees??
Read this article to learn all you must know about whit fungus on mulch.
Combine warm weather, shady garden spots, spring showers, and you’ve got the ideal setting for white fungus to rear its ugly face.
Spotting White Fungus (“Slime Mold or Dog Vomit Fungus”) in Your Mulch
Fuligo septica, the scientific name for this mold type, was nicknamed due to its appearance. Slime mold is easy to see since it genuinely does look like the outcome of a dog losing its battle with an upset stomach.
Dog vomit fungus or slime mold begins as a shiny yellow foam that expands anywhere from a couple of inches to a foot through a garden bed. Over time, the slimy fungus dries up, changes to brown color and finally changes into a powdery white color.
Getting Rid of It
Now that you’ve verified you have white fungus, and it isn’t a dog in the neighborhood messing in your yard, you’re most likely wondering how the mold developed in the first place.
The answer is that it due to the proper weather elements. White fungus loves moist, warm spaces. After heavy rainfall, a shaded garden is a perfect place for mold to grow.
However, there is good news. White fungus isn’t going to get on your trees. The fact of the matter is, white fungus is harmless. The mold lasts by eating debris and bacteria in the yard for a short period before dissolving into the ground. It’s only noticeable for just a couple of weeks.
All that's to say; you don't have to get rid of the mold. Though, if it truly bothers you, taking it up using a shovel and discarding, it will eliminate the problem. If you’re uneasy about cleaning up the white fungus, contact York PA Tree Service and schedule an appointment.
Comments are closed.